terça-feira, junho 15, 2004

Procrastinator's Diary

Now, here's a regular day in my life back when I was a freelance copywriter living alone in a big flat.
Supposedly I always planned to start work at 3h00 pm after having lunch and watching a bit of TV. That was when procrastination usually took hold:

1. Lay belly up on the sofa, listening to the noises coming from outside. It's hot and my house is so quiet. I feel happy but lonely. Energized yet slow and lazy.
2. Look at the ceiling actually looking to find something worth looking at. Manage to find some spots and wonder how they got there. The lamp wiring eventually becomes fascinating...but not for long.
3. Turn belly down. Not comfortable.
4. Get up and sigh twice.
5. Go for meia-de-leite and a torrada.
6. Take the dog for a walk in the meantime
7. Come back feeling half motivated half guilty
8. Sit by the computer.
9. Look at the screen.
10. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so maybe I'll go for a lay down on the sofa.

11. Repeat steps 1. through 4.

12. Get back on the computer.
13. Try to remember what it is I was supposed to be doing.
14. Look at the watch.
15. Sense for hunger. Make sure I really don't feel like eating something. Maybe some fruit.
15.a) I could eat something. Go into the kitchen.
15.b) Not really hungry. Maybe some fruit. Go into the kitchen.
16. Try to remember why I came into the kitchen. I'm not hungry at all. Actually I feel sick from the coffee.
17. Go to the loo.
18. Look in the mirror.
19. Maybe I could do something with my hair.
20. Try out different hairdos with pins and bands.
21. Conclude that my hair needs washing. Maybe I'll do just that.
22. I'll just have a shower.
23. Start the water running.
24. Have a bath instead of a shower. I could do with a bit of relaxation.
25. Stay in the bath until my heart is pounding and I get slightly edgy.
26. Get up, wrap myself in a towel and go lay on top of the bed.
27. Sleep.

(about half an hour later)

28. Quit pretending I can't hear the computer fan going "hummmmmm."
29. Get up and find some clothes.
30. Go into the bathroom again.
31. Hair dried into an absolute mess. Skin's dry.
32. Wet hair again, and comb it into something worth looking at.
33. I'm pretty. Need to lose some weight.
34. Choose which body moisturizing cream to rub on.
35. Remember that maybe I could do with a bit of waxing.
36. Wax.
37. ....wax! Shit.
38. the other leg now.
39. feel like leaving it for another day...I'll just wear trousers.
40. Wax, wax, wax, wax. Now I'm tired.
41. Put cream all over.
42. Leave bathroom in total havoc. I'll tidy it later.
43. Find comfy, fun, pretty clothes.
44. Feel good.
45. Go sit in front of the computer.
46. Choose soundtrack.
47. Open the document I should be working on.
48. Get into the music.
49. Get up and dance around the room.
50. Sing and dance imitating the singer, pretending I'm in front of an audience of thousands.
51. Hear the neighbours coming home, realizing is past seven o'clock in the evening.
52. Remember I have capoeira practice somewhere.
53. Change into capoeira gear.
54. Leave.
55. Return past ten at night.
56. Have a quick shower while thinking of what to have for dinner.
57. Pasta. The quickest solution for a hungry belly. With tuna and apple. Nice.
58. Go into the computer room while pasta cooks.
59. Play a game.
60. Come back into the kitchen. Dish up.
61. Eat on beanbag in front of the TV.
62. Get bored with TV.
63. Make a few phone calls. Find someone to go for coffee with.
64. Go out intending to not take long 'cause I have work to do.
65. Come back around one in the morning.
66. Check what's on TV.
67. Get bored again.
68. Go back into the computer room.
69. The document was left open. Start working without even noticing I'm doing it.
70. Get a feeling of "Oh...this is going really well."
71. Start feeling tired around half past four in the morning.
72. Try to think of any phone calls to be received or any things that need doing in the morning: 1) no; 2) yes ( but those I'll leave 'em for the afternoon).
73. Work a bit more.
74. Realize it's not night anymore. Get to bed before there's too much sunlight, hearing the birds going mad outside.
75. Sleep until I naturally wake up around noon.


P.S. I didn't know I was a procrastinator until my welsh ex-boyfriend told me so. That's why I better relate to the concept in English....and because I can't pronounce it in Portuguese...:P

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Lol that really did make me "laugh out loud".
You are indeed the greatest procrastinator in existence.
Why do now what you can do later, tomorrow, next week or one of these days?

:)

terça-feira, 15 junho, 2004  
Blogger S. said...

Can I get back to you on that?

quarta-feira, 16 junho, 2004  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Procrastinator I am. It's awkward how all procartinators feel exactly the same. You do a whole lotta things in the meantime, though. I am more of the kind of the guy who just do steps 1 to 4. And sometimes I read. A novel or even a paper which I know will not be useful because it is about a completely different theme. I came around (?) on procrastination about 2 years ago. Reading PhD - Piled Higher and Deeper, the first textbook (on a comic strip style) on procrastination, Stanford Uni release. Nowadays, I already got my PhD... on procrastination.

quinta-feira, 17 junho, 2004  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home